- Organize a food raiser through your business, community group or school. Please see Organize a fund/food raiser.
- Donate perishable or non-perishable food. For food ideas please see The Top 10 Most Wanted Foods. Perishable food such as dairy products and fresh produce are welcome donations, but please check with us to ensure we have adequate fridge space.
- Donate surplus garden produce as it ripens.
- Grow a Row or patch of your garden specifically to donate to the Nelson Food Cupboard and drop it off as it ripens.
- Don’t have a garden? You can still donate fresh produce by Buying a Row.
Please note that we cannot accept food that is out of date, packaged food that has been opened, nor home canning.
All donations can be dropped off during our open hours Monday and Wednesday 9 – 1:00pm at the Nelson United Church 602 Silica Street. If you can’t make it during those hours, just call and we’ll arrange another time.
This is a fantastic way to support a local farmer and the Nelson Food Cupboard at the same time. During the growing season you choose how long of a row of a certain vegetable you would like to purchase, and send us a cheque. We order it from a local farmer and send you a charitable receipt. Everyone wins – we support local producers at the same time as stocking the Food Cupboard with nutritious, fresh, local food. Please contact us at (250)354-1633 to choose your veggies!
Back to Top
- Bulk whole grains: whole wheat couscous, oatmeal, barley and brown rice
- Fish: canned salmon and sardines
- Low-sugar cereals
- Canned tomatoes and tomato sauce
- Pasta made from whole wheat, spelt or other whole grains
- Almond, rice and soy beverages
- Canned chick peas, black beans and lentils
- Sugar and salt-free peanut butter and other nut butters
- Dried fruit, raisins, nuts and seeds
- Gluten-free products